PIF - Paying It Forward
July 18, 2019, 07:14:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avon tires  (Read 5873 times)
Dallas

« on: February 27, 2009, 06:27:31 AM »

Has anyone used the Avon tires on a 1500? I know it has been asked before but wanted to know the comparison between them and Dunlop for wear, noise, handling, and ride. The Elite III is pretty noisy I think, and if I can hear them that is no exaggeration.  Roll Eyes Ha, beat you to it, Whizzer.
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »

Haven't used them on a 1500, but they are a softer rubber which gives you better grip, but may wear faster. Noise is less. Bear is an Avon user, and may have used them on his 1500 too, and would know more.

Bear

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:27:17 AM »

I don't remember if I used them on my 1500 or not.  But I like them on my 1800.

Bear

Every Road has two ends
It is my destiny to find both of them

Dallas

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:26:47 PM »

Thanks, Bear n' Greg, I hate to leave Dunlop because of the mileage issue but the noise sometimes catches me off guard. I guess I could turn the radio up a little louder.  tup1
Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:40:03 PM »

In my experience the 2 best tires for the 1500 are the Avon Venom X's and the Michelin Pilot GT's

As the Michelins are now discontinued you have limited choices.

The Pilots are still around if you search for them but the Avons are just as good.... Smiley

Carl R. Munkwitz
Richard Edward

Two wheels are more therapy than transportation

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »

I ran Donlop E-3s and didn't like anything about them except the mileage.  I used one set of Avon Venom X on the 93 GL1500 and liked them, the next set was Michelin Pilots and really liked them and am now on my 3rd set of michelins.

A point of information, you can still get the Michelins from ride direct and they have a good price.  In November I ordered a set on Thursday and on Friday afternoon there were 2 sets on my carport.  I talked with ride direct regarding the extra set and wound up buying them as well, so I should be good for the next two years.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda or a Harley or a Kawasaki or a Yamaha  etc etc
beaker

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »

I am running Avon Venoms on the front and back of a 94 1500. This my second set, Good tire, good wear. I have 14k on the front since June 09.  No cupping, no problems.

Rick & Cindy

1994 GL1500 Aspencade
FreeW1ll1e
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

I went through a couple of Avons before going to the Pilot GT.

I liked the Avon as far as ride and handling.

One thing is that for best results they had to be run pretty hard (pump em up) 45 F and 50 R.

Good tire over all and may go back to them when I use up my supply of Pilots.

Bill Shepard
Fairport NY
IBA #34828
WrongWayRex

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:49:19 PM »

I ran Avons on my 1800 and the front is still on the bike, back one went south pretty quickly with a big knot on the left side. Of course I wasn't where I could get another rear Avon so I triked the bike and still have the Avon on the front. That tire is simply holding up well. Maybe 14K miles now. Actually, I had a EIII put on the rear just before I triked the bike. Think I gave it to someone already.

If I show up, please keep me here until I get back from looking for myself!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: