PIF - Paying It Forward
October 18, 2019, 10:28:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1988 Wing CB  (Read 4225 times)
Hick

Deere Power!

« on: April 22, 2013, 06:45:19 AM »

The Wing I am looking at seems to not have a CB radio on it.  Since I had put a CB on the Ol' Grey Mare last two GPR rides, I see the advantage of having one.

SO, what does it take to add a CB to the existing audio setup, if it can be done?

John Anderson

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »

My '95 did not come with one as well since it was a "Canadian Edition" that came with all the lower chrome instead of the CB.  Apparently that year the CB put it over the allowable Japanese content.
I bought a Cobra (all in the hand) hand held unit.  Wired it in easily through the front fairing pouch and ran an antennae wire to the back trunk rack under the seat and mounted a Ford radio antennae.  It worked well as long as I was not interested in any distance.  It worked well for group riding.  I don't know whether Cobra still sell them but I do know truck stops had them.  After I left the RA, folded our chapter and the other Club I belonged to folded, I gave up group riding and gave the CB away. 
mngl1500

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:07 PM »

Stock cb (even used)  will be $$$.  Look at a j&m that mounts on the handle bar that you can use on other bikes as well. 
Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »

Stock cb (even used)  will be $$$.  Look at a j&m that mounts on the handle bar that you can use on other bikes as well. 

Even that set-up is going to cost you $300 PLUS..
You will want the 2 person set up at about $275 plus the antenna & mounting kit and the headsets that work with the system..
We have one mounted on Ryans GL1100 and it works great..but it wasn't cheap...

Carl R. Munkwitz
Tony Melendy

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »

Honda discontinued the stock CB around 2002 .Even if you could find one with all the wiring and filters it would be over ten years old  Shocked    I tried hooking up a hand hold Cobra CB before I found a NOS Honda CB but didn't have good luck doing it .  Every time I tried to power the CB from the battery all I got was a lot of noise and filters didn't help .Everybody I know runs the unit with batteries because of that .
 It wasn't intergrated with the radio and was more trouble then it was worth .

From what I have heard is that the J&M unit works good and has all the functions that the stock unit has plus there is a way to use an I pod and I think it has a scan feature and weather channel .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:15:19 PM by Tony Melendy » Logged
John Anderson

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:11:56 AM »

https://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-st-compact-remote-mount-cb-radio-with-soundtracker-and-noaa-weather.cfm

This is very similar to the one I used.  Being newer I would suggest electrical noise may not be a problem and even with my very limited technical ability I was able to mount it and install under the right side fairing hard cover pocket.  The power box fit perfectly and I drilled a hole through the top.
Shep

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »

Hick I have a valkarie interstate cb mounted on my wifes silverwing it works great all the controls are on the handle grip and you can hook up a radio or she uses a mp3 at the radio inside the fairing.
I bought this unit for 500 years ago used, it sold new for 700, you might shop around and find one probably be cheaper now.

The two most important names I've been called "Dad, and Grandpa" all the rest are just names!
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »

Thanks for your answers.  Looks like the purchase will not be going through. But this gives me the idea I need to find one with a CB, or transfer the set-up I have on mine.

Shep

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »

Hick if you happen to buy a 1500 I found a 88 wing cb with everything but the headsets wiring antenna everything for 300 dollars.
Also a 88 cb and stereo, but no wiring just the radios, didn't get a price on those but if anyone is interested I will get Price?

The two most important names I've been called "Dad, and Grandpa" all the rest are just names!
Big Bob

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:02:42 AM »

I have a J&M handle bar mount cb on my'96 Asp.! It works great but it was not cheap, buy the time it was purchased, installed, an antenna and 2 helmets with headsets, and 5 pin wires even back in '04 when I had this done I spent around $800 for everything. Huge cost but all still working well!

Bob

Bob Payette
Rosemount, MN
USA
'06 GL1800 Goldwing Dark Cherry Red
My new hot rod!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: