PIF - Paying It Forward
July 18, 2019, 07:11:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TPMS and balance beads  (Read 9587 times)
FreeW1ll1e
Global Moderator

« on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:39 AM »

Any issue with using beads and the factory TPMS?

I have been happy with the results with beads for the last several years on my 1500 (at least 4 sets of tires) so would like to use them with the 1800.

Bill Shepard
Fairport NY
IBA #34828
Cherryman

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »

Never had either on my 03 or saw a need.   Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Fred J. Lammlin
03 Blk Wing/Champion Kit
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:03 AM »

Never had either on my 03 or saw a need.   Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Ditto.

Richard Edward

Two wheels are more therapy than transportation

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:54:23 AM »

I'm running dynabeads and TPMS on the 1800 and have had no problems.  I had not given much thought to using a TPMS until this past summer when I had a rear MC tire go down and completely come off the wheel leaving only the seating beads on the wheel.  Fortunately I was able to get the bike shut down without major damage, but now with the TPMS, I feel a little more at ease while riding.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda or a Harley or a Kawasaki or a Yamaha  etc etc
Al

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:31:07 AM »

Fortunately I was able to get the bike shut down without major damage, but now with the TPMS, I feel a little more at ease while riding. >>>>>>>

My brothers vehicle has the factory TPMS and IMHO it's more of a problem than what it's worth, constantly giving wrong indication of low pressure, he had it in twice and they still couldn't get it corrected. It came on when I was driving it, I checked and every tire was within 1 psi of another and all good on pressure, it seems to be a temperature related, cold, more than anything. If the tire goes down fast a TMPS isn't going to be much of a help, BTDT. Funny not that Consumer Reports stated if most new cars were to have a problem causing return to the dealership  
power equipment would be in the top 5, TMPS being one of them. Look at how many questions that are electrical in nature for our Wings.  For me I can see it being relied on to much in place of the tire inspection and pressure check, especially on bikes.

I'll amend this a bit, a riding friend said his new Triumph has the system and it alerted him to a pressure loss when he picked up a nail so if the system is working properly and it's not a catastrophic failure it may have it's place, LOL after seeing some tires at rallies maybe they should come up with an automatic tire thread ware indicator also.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:56:16 PM by Al » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: