PIF - Paying It Forward
October 17, 2018, 01:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery maintenance question  (Read 2386 times)
wordsmyth

tempermentally knobby...

« on: January 06, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »

Using an infrared thermometer I took a reading and the GL18 and VStrom engine casing temperatures in my enclosed carport are 38.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

I will assume the temperature of the rest of each bike is at or near that same reading.

Is that too cold to hook up a battery tender to the motorcycles?

Former Marine, NRA Life Member, life-long truck guy

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

"Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
oldwing81

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »

In my opinion you should have a tender hooked up anytime you aren't using them. I've been a lot longer life out of my batteries since I started doing this, I even have a tender on my lawn tractor all year long.

Arv DeGroot - Sacred Heart, MN
92 GL1500SE, 81 GL1100, Aspen Classic camper, & Morgan cargo trailer
Cherryman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:06:08 PM »

I used to keep a tender on my old 1200 yrs ago, but when I bought my 03 Wing, I never used a tender and got 12 yrs out of the battery.  And that's stored in an unheated garage here in Mi.    Pretty unbelievable I thought, so I now use a tender during the winter on the new battery.    I still start it about once a month and run it at a fast idle for 20-30 min.   My old Wheel Horse mower has only had 2 batteries since 1990---must be lucky I guess.

Fred J. Lammlin
03 Blk Wing/Champion Kit
wordsmyth

tempermentally knobby...

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. My main concern was putting a tender on a battery that was too cold to start the charging process.

Both of my bikes have newer glass-mat batteries in them. The VStrom came with one from the factory, and the GL1800 battery is one I installed at the PO's place before I rode off for the 36 mile ride to my home. I expect to get 5 to 6 years out of both batteries.

I know what the tender manuals say about "safe to leave connected all the time" but I once cooked all of the liquid out of a BMW battery following that advice. So now I put them on once a month to bring the batteries up to max charge and then disconnect the tenders at the plugs.

Former Marine, NRA Life Member, life-long truck guy

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

"Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Al

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:13:10 AM »

Late, but the temps will be ok, I have three going in my shop no heat no problems with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: