PIF - Paying It Forward
December 12, 2018, 01:08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery maintenance question  (Read 2959 times)
wordsmyth

tempermentally knobby...

« on: January 06, 2018, 09:45:14 AM »

Using an infrared thermometer I took a reading and the GL18 and VStrom engine casing temperatures in my enclosed carport are 38.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

I will assume the temperature of the rest of each bike is at or near that same reading.

Is that too cold to hook up a battery tender to the motorcycles?

Former Marine, NRA Life Member, life-long truck guy

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

"Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
oldwing81

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »

In my opinion you should have a tender hooked up anytime you aren't using them. I've been a lot longer life out of my batteries since I started doing this, I even have a tender on my lawn tractor all year long.

Arv DeGroot - Sacred Heart, MN
92 GL1500SE, 81 GL1100, Aspen Classic camper, & Morgan cargo trailer
Cherryman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:06:08 PM »

I used to keep a tender on my old 1200 yrs ago, but when I bought my 03 Wing, I never used a tender and got 12 yrs out of the battery.  And that's stored in an unheated garage here in Mi.    Pretty unbelievable I thought, so I now use a tender during the winter on the new battery.    I still start it about once a month and run it at a fast idle for 20-30 min.   My old Wheel Horse mower has only had 2 batteries since 1990---must be lucky I guess.

Fred J. Lammlin
03 Blk Wing/Champion Kit
wordsmyth

tempermentally knobby...

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. My main concern was putting a tender on a battery that was too cold to start the charging process.

Both of my bikes have newer glass-mat batteries in them. The VStrom came with one from the factory, and the GL1800 battery is one I installed at the PO's place before I rode off for the 36 mile ride to my home. I expect to get 5 to 6 years out of both batteries.

I know what the tender manuals say about "safe to leave connected all the time" but I once cooked all of the liquid out of a BMW battery following that advice. So now I put them on once a month to bring the batteries up to max charge and then disconnect the tenders at the plugs.

Former Marine, NRA Life Member, life-long truck guy

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

"Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Al

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:13:10 AM »

Late, but the temps will be ok, I have three going in my shop no heat no problems with them.
kenvb

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »

my Dad passed away in 97 and his 77 Chev pickup still had the factory battery in it. he always kept a small battery charge on it whenever he wasn't using it. but within a week of burying him the battery died too ??????

what goes around.   comes around.
Al

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 06:21:29 AM »

I know what the tender manuals say about "safe to leave connected all the time" but I once cooked all of the liquid out of a BMW battery following that advice. So now I put them on once a month to bring the batteries up to max charge and then disconnect the tenders at the plugs. <<>>

Depends on what kind of charger, the old trickle chargers never shut off, regular chargers are supposed to, battery tenders are set up to charge then go on float to maintain a charge, which really isn't full charge when you go to start something, it depends on where they are in the float cycle.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: