PIF - Paying It Forward
August 18, 2018, 09:05:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a pool?  (Read 635 times)
ChiefBob

« on: May 21, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »

I just got my Wing World and I was wondering if there was a pool going for when RA would shut down.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
kenvb

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »

I guess no one cares if it does Bob? what make you think it might?
ChiefBob

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 03:32:41 AM »

The thickness and contents of the magazine. It's fast becoming the news letter that it once was.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 06:13:11 AM »

Havenít seen one in a while. I remember the ads being overwhelming.

Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:50:54 AM »

Mostly ads -- and the content is no good anyways.
The writers are not riders- they are GWRRA minions who write about the Chapter events.
A 'tour ride' reads like a AAA road map - they tell about a 6 day trip covering 2400 miles with directions.
"Turned onto the interstate at Hy222 - then road 99 miles until I needed a break - ate at a restaurant - found a hotel"

Stu is no longer technical editor - The leadership is largely female and many are not motorcycle owners nor riders (some co-riders)
It's a social club for old people who used to ride and now talk about the good ol' days ...

Kinda like this board ...  Smiley

Carl R. Munkwitz
Al

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

Mostly ads -- and the content is no good anyways.
The writers are not riders- they are GWRRA minions who write about the Chapter events.
A 'tour ride' reads like a AAA road map - they tell about a 6 day trip covering 2400 miles with directions.
"Turned onto the interstate at Hy222 - then road 99 miles until I needed a break - ate at a restaurant - found a hotel"

Stu is no longer technical editor - The leadership is largely female and many are not motorcycle owners nor riders (some co-riders)
It's a social club for old people who used to ride and now talk about the good ol' days ...

Kinda like this board ...  Smiley

Hey I represent that  rotflmao, but I ride when we are  not caught in the constant mother nature rinse cycle.

FreeW1ll1e
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:46:53 AM »

Well said Munkwitz!

I ran into one of the people from the chapter I used to be part of, apparently they eliminated the "educator" position.

I thought back in the previous uproar that caused the mass exodus from the GWRRA BBS the education part of the association was the keystone to the tax breaks.

I may be wrong (according to Ruth I usually am).

Bill Shepard
Fairport NY
IBA #34828
Al

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 05:29:12 AM »

Well said Munkwitz!

I ran into one of the people from the chapter I used to be part of, apparently they eliminated the "educator" position.

I thought back in the previous uproar that caused the mass exodus from the GWRRA BBS the education part of the association was the keystone to the tax breaks.

YES and the MEC, it was a mucked up affair with that from the first announcement, ABSOLUTELY ZERO RESPONSE when I called HQ about what was going on or what was coming up. Any communication came down from above that, district / local ect. Unfortunately they didn't know much either, THEN suddenly there were NEW RULES about the how why when and wheres of a position that was supposedly eliminated, I said good bye.
oldwing81

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:30:07 AM »

I have 2 reasons I'm still a member one is the gold book which I haven't used, the other is Rescue Plus which I have.

Arv DeGroot - Sacred Heart, MN
92 GL1500SE, 81 GL1100, Aspen Classic camper, & Morgan cargo trailer
Al

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »

I have 2 reasons I'm still a member one is the gold book which I haven't used, the other is Rescue Plus which I have.

Ditto and the mag, which for the most part just gets passed on / recycled.  As a lifer I'll get those regardless. Sadly both chapters we attended have closed so we just meet and greet over supper. At one time o-HI-o was 1st or 2nd in the states for chapters, now?
Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 08:37:45 AM »

Well said Munkwitz!

That's how I remember it as well -- I guess things change ,  it was a giant money grab...always is...
GWRRA may have started as a altruistic venture ; but quickly turned into an organization that made money - revenue corrupted the intent -

That is why I will not participate when this board becomes anything that requires a membership - I will not be part of the demise...  prd rotflmao

Carl R. Munkwitz
Tony Melendy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »

When I finally stopped lurking on the GWRRA and signed up about ten years ago I thought the message board was a very interesting place .
Almost any time of the day or night someone was on line posting things . I was very amused by the banter between Curtis ,Connie, Gary . If you posted something there would be comments within minutes . Many times they came so fast all you had to do was hit the refresh button to keep up .
Just a while ago I was the only one on line I think that is kinda sad .   I resisted joining another message board at first because I didn't want to chase people around .  
I still an a member of the RA board as well as here but boy I sure miss all the people who left .

Whatever reasons causes people to leave I am glad that it was  GWRRA that brought us to together . I am thankful that I was able to know dozens of people on line and in person all because of GWRRA .

It is tearing me apart that I am not healthy enough to go to the picknic and meet every one again .
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:30:13 PM by Tony Melendy » Logged
John Anderson

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »

Well said Tony. My sentiments exactly with the exception that I am no longer an RA member nor do I miss their BBS as we have these two (and Exiles). Besides. I no longer own a Wing. (Which I miss a lot)

I will never forget the camaraderie of all involved at the TP after the bad storm of 2010 in Wisconsin.  I also regret not being able to attend 2018 as it is one of the closest to me. I am awaiting a call about hand surgery.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:48:33 AM by John Anderson » Logged
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 05:44:36 AM »

RA was the beginning of a international friendships with people in the GW community and I wonít forget that. Made lots of friends due to RA.

Whiz-Kid
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »

What iwing said

Mikeee
Cherrie

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 10:09:05 AM »

Me too.  We have life long friends we have met cause of RA.  It's sad to see it dwindling.
MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »

Hildebrand salaries are dropping on the most recent Form 990.  Dorothy is down to $115.952 from over $300,000 a year.  Paul is down to $4,080.

wflg
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »

Hildebrand salaries are dropping on the most recent Form 990.  Dorothy is down to $115.952 from over $300,000 a year.  Paul is down to $4,080.

Obsession isnít just a perfume.  rotflmao

MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »

Just the facts.   Smiley

wflg
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 07:41:59 AM »

Just the facts.   Smiley

It's ok, I realize its your hobby to keep tract of Hildebrand salaries.  tup1

Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »

Me too.  We have life long friends we have met cause of RA.  It's sad to see it dwindling.
RA was the beginning of a international friendships with people in the GW community and I wonít forget that. Made lots of friends due to RA.

SO TRUE!!
At last count, we have met over 350 people through the Great Plains Rally, which was started on the RA board. That number is people met in person. There is probably a hundred more I am friends via internet, people that I know almost as well as those I've met.

So for that, I am thankful for GWRRA. I was saddened by the events that precipitated myself and many others to leave.
Water under the bridge, and GPR is still going strong, although lower numbers. Which is okay; when we had high numbers it was hard to meet the people and get to know them.  Last year it coincided with the total eclipse and we had about a dozen stay over to Monday for that amazing experience.

And someday, hopefully, we can make the TP.

iwing
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 03:31:47 AM »

When I finally stopped lurking on the GWRRA and signed up about ten years ago I thought the message board was a very interesting place .
Almost any time of the day or night someone was on line posting things . I was very amused by the banter between Curtis ,Connie, Gary . If you posted something there would be comments within minutes . Many times they came so fast all you had to do was hit the refresh button to keep up .
Just a while ago I was the only one on line I think that is kinda sad .   I resisted joining another message board at first because I didn't want to chase people around .  
I still an a member of the RA board as well as here but boy I sure miss all the people who left .

Whatever reasons causes people to leave I am glad that it was  GWRRA that brought us to together . I am thankful that I was able to know dozens of people on line and in person all because of GWRRA .

It is tearing me apart that I am not healthy enough to go to the picknic and meet every one again .

Sadly, this was Tony's last post before he passed away. Life really is fragile.

COPJR
Feel the POWER!!!!
Global Moderator

The WI Road Runner

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 06:15:44 AM »

pdls

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: