PIF - Paying It Forward
April 18, 2019, 10:40:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 99% sure this will be coming home with me  (Read 1501 times)
Hick

Deere Power!

« on: December 14, 2018, 09:55:52 PM »

Dad's first new tractor was a John Deere MC crawler. He sold it when I was a teenager. I think I found his in a town west of here, but it is in very rough condition. New undercarriage and track, but silted in 20 years ago, so would be worse now. The guy wanted too much for it then.
This one came up on a buy, sell, trade last night. Actually three of them. One that ran 4 years ago, one at 95%, and one parts tractor.
The 95% one sold.
This is the one that ran, engine is still loose, priced at $1800, which is about $1000 under what I've been finding.
The parts tractor can be had for $200 and has a pulley attachment, which is worth at least double that! So I'll be looking at them tomorrow and pretty sure I'll get them both.
I'll sell the '46 A that I have, since I never use it, and this dozer tractor will be used once I get it running.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:32:58 PM by Hick » Logged

Whiz-Kid
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 06:48:58 AM »

Looks like a nice project and fun to use.

Mikeee
Al

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 07:17:08 AM »

like I'd like to have that for a day or two here. Didn't Oliver have a tracked unit, OC3 maybe?
nuferdog

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 07:59:13 AM »

That will keep you busy.

True happiness can be found in the eyes of our children.
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 10:58:36 PM »

And it's home!
We made a deal for a straight trade: my '46 A for it and the parts tractor, delivered to my place.
Got to looking at the parts tractor, not worth bringing home. Then asked to make sure the engine was loose on this one. Hooked up battery cables to the starter.
CLUNK!
Stuck!
That changes everything!
He backed down to $1000 cash. No longer interested in trading, since he would have to pay me.
He threw in some extra parts (correct seat frame, dozer lift arms).
Stopped at the Palace in Red Cloud for dinner. GeePeRs may recognize that; it was our dinner run one of the times we went to the Geo-Center of the 48 States.
I came home and rearranged the shop. Figured I may have to put something outside, but got it done so the MC will fit in the back where I can work on it and be out of the way so I can still use the hoist.
It just so happened that he was meeting a fellow in Grand Island tonight, so he brought it up yet today. He is brought his skid steer to push it in. We put down plywood as we went to protect the concrete from the cleats.
Now to get to work!
Looking forward to it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:48:16 PM by Hick » Logged

kenvb

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »

HELL of a deal.freind of mine buys and sells small 2 banger JDs. he just sold same Cat for $12,000   was all steamed and repainted too. 

KMA
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 08:20:43 PM »

Tinkered with it today.  When we were cleaning out Dad's old shop building last September, we came across a crank for something. Jerry said it was from Dad's MC. I brought that and a track plate home as pieces of nostalgia; most likely the only thing I'd have of the ol' crawler.  Well, today I put it to use to see if I could get the engine loose. I had to cut an angle iron off that someone had welded to the bumper (inset).

I put the crank in and pulled.
Nothing moved.
Pulled harder, and it broke loose!
I'm thinking it wasn't "stuck" as in rusted, but actually "frozen" as in water in the cylinder and cold temps.
Pulled again, and it turned some more, then stopped dead. Thinking probably a stuck valve.
Yep! Found the culprit:

When I put the valve cover & tools on the tracks, it hit me that I had seen this view before; about 50 years ago when Dad was working on his in his shop.

kenvb

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 07:33:36 AM »

get it running,  rent a steamer,clean it off..hand sand it. repaint it..walla  $6000 US .   tup1

KMA
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 10:36:59 PM »

get it running,  rent a steamer,clean it off..hand sand it. repaint it..walla  $6000 US .   tup1
It would have to have new track pads to get that kind of money, and those would run me $2700+.
But then again, I bought it to keep, not sell.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:30:20 AM by Hick » Logged

kenvb

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »

I see someones already updated it to 12volt.  they start easier that way.keeping it is ok..but you cant use it without wrecking the Cement ..a guy here bolted rubber pads to each pad,keeps it inside like you do..runs it out to push snow  living in town.

KMA
kenvb

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 07:40:46 AM »

like I'd like to have that for a day or two here. Didn't Oliver have a tracked unit, OC3 maybe?

I had a 1930s Oliver Cleat trac in Barrhead.bought it to clean the barn and corral. was neat little thing.RCMP neighbor offered me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I had in it.. he painted it up and takes it to farm shows.

KMA
Al

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 08:49:01 AM »

That's the one, it was used by a friend for light farm work,in the spring he hauled the sap tank in his sugar bush, neat machine. Redoing old farm equipment to like new ( or better ) and taking them to shows and parades is a pretty conman thing here. If I didn't use my I-140 Farmall for regular work that would be a fun project, shine it up nice and retire it Smiley
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »

but you cant use it without wrecking the Cement

I have 4 pieces of plywood cut 12" wide to put under the tracks to protect the cement. Moved them as we backed it in.

Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »

Just a thought ---

Do you really NEED that ? Will you USE it ?
Could that money have been spent on a TRIP on that NEW-TO-YOU Goldwing ?
You will never leave Nebraska again if you don't plan to do so...

Would love to see you guys at an event that you didn't have to PLAN and WORK  --

With Love & respect  Wink

Carl R. Munkwitz
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »

Now donít be a sour puss Carl. Some people like collecting things and having fun on the home front in their own way. Different stokes for different folks. Look at UltraSteve no more bike but a ton of hobbies on his home turf. If I had land I really could get in to that.

kenvb

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »

Carls right..   so have the 2019 GPR at Carls place ?   Grin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:52:34 PM by kenvb » Logged

KMA
FreeW1ll1e
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »

We move the traveling picnic to a new place every year!

Bill Shepard
Fairport NY
IBA #34828
Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 01:39:14 PM »

Carls right..   so have the 2018 GPR at Carls place ?   Grin

2018 GPR was at Hicks - I was there -

Carl R. Munkwitz
kenvb

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 01:52:58 PM »

mean next yr.. Grin

KMA
kenvb

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHA5EFrqZuo

KMA
Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 03:31:35 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KWigii9cJxc&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/KWigii9cJxc&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

Carl R. Munkwitz
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »

Just a thought ---

Do you really NEED that ? Will you USE it ?
Could that money have been spent on a TRIP on that NEW-TO-YOU Goldwing ?
You will never leave Nebraska again if you don't plan to do so...

Would love to see you guys at an event that you didn't have to PLAN and WORK  --

With Love & respect  Wink

Actually, yes, I will use it. I need to move a lot of dirt around in our yard, and this will be the ticket.
The '46 I've had all these years only gets moved once a year. I will be selling it.

And GPR has been so much easier now that some locals have pitched in and help set up and tear down. We've been running 25 - 30, which is a real nice size.

Retirement is coming up, so who knows where we'll show up? Wink

Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 06:03:03 PM »

2018 GPR was at Hicks - I was there -

And it was great seeing you again!

MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 07:20:54 PM »

I want to know about the tractor.  This thread has been hijacked.

wflg
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 10:03:40 PM »

I want to know about the tractor. &nbsp;This thread has been hijacked.

You can follow the progress on my FB album; it is public.
https://www.facebook.com/gary.hickman.54/media_set?set=a.2156321251117755&type=3

I'll be pulling the head off Saturday.

Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »

And got it loose!!
Pulled the head off the MC this morning. Both exhaust valves are stuck tight. One stuck down, but not hitting the piston as I thought was the cause of the engine not turning. It must have been stuck when he cranked it 4 months ago though, as the pushrod was bent.
The intakes came right out.
Still could not turn the engine. Messed around with trying to move it in gear with the pickup, but the slick concrete in the shop just had the pickup spinning its tires!

Looked at the cylinders again, realized the rust in #1 may keep me from turning it. Took a pipe wrench on the front shaft and turned it backwards with no problem. Ran the piston to the bottom, then took my cylinder hone and cleaned up the cylinder. Grabbed the crank, and it spins nicely! I also honed #2 while I was at it.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.hickman.54/videos/2166096786806868/

kenvb

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »

I knew you could do it. free up those valves.clean head gaskets and Vroom.  dont forget to use Premium gas with some lead additive .

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:38:47 PM by kenvb » Logged

KMA
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »

I knew you could do it. free up those valves.clean head gaskets and Vroom.  domt foget to use Premium gas with some lead additive .

Ken, what is your fetish with premium gas? It does no good to use it if the engine was not designed for it, and this certainly is not a high compression engine.

ChiefBob

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 05:22:15 AM »

I agree Hick. I had a friend that always used premium in his Wing because his Wing deserved the best. He related high price with being best. I told him once or twice that he was throwing his money way but he kept on.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
kenvb

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 05:29:49 AM »

no fetish.  our regular gas has that ethanol crap added to it and 87 octane.  some premiuims up here don't have that crap in it so carberators don't get the green gunk buildup.  I have cleaned hundreds of small engine carbs that don't get used much and are all plugged with that green crap. my own small motors always start every time and use premium gas ..example   the 1989 Honda Mower and snowblower and rototiller still have original carb guts.sparkplugs,  they start 2 pulls evertime. customers bring me 2 yr old mowers,blowers,tillers that don't run due to regular gas.
and 2 cycle oil doesn't stay mixed with ethanol blended gas. it does with non eth Premium.

KMA
Al

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 06:45:41 AM »

Good point Ken, I use the crap gas because it's darn near impossible to find gas without ethanol here, I just double triple up on Stabil, that's been working for me.  Ethanol the farmers welfare crop heavily subsidized for a product that's not worth the money, I don't use it in my truck and it's an E-85 designed use system.
ChiefBob

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »

I wish they would quit with the ethanol but it hasn't caused me any problems except one. I had to replace the fuel lines in my chainsaw because they had become brittle and broke, what a PITA.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
Cherryman

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 07:36:33 PM »

I bought a Stihl leaf blower 2 yrs ago and the dealer told me to use ONLY recreational gas in it.   I guess that is non-ethanol; also called marine gas, I think.  Only one station in town that sells it.

Fred J. Lammlin
03 Blk Wing/Champion Kit
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 10:10:58 PM »

My 1951 is 67 years old. The 430 was two generations after. So at the very most, it would be 60 years old.

kenvb

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2018, 07:55:59 AM »

Merry Christmas Hick.    you said--We can buy non-ethanol regular here without going to the Premium grade.

that's why I use premium.because we CANT buy that kind of gas here.

KMA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: