PIF - Paying It Forward
June 16, 2019, 08:25:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Surgery  (Read 642 times)
Hick

Deere Power!

« on: January 14, 2019, 10:12:03 PM »

A couple months ago at work I was inspecting the dry-system fire sprinkler pipes in the attic for leaks. I was stepping from stringer to stringer, looking up, and holding onto the upright 2x4s as I was going. Every once in a while the stringer spacing changed, and I'd step onto the drywall. Since it is fire-rated thickness, it holds my weight, so no biggie if I miss a stringer.
As I was going along, looking up, I missed a stringer. And there was no drywall under my foot! Instead, there was a void that went down to the next floor! Feeling myself falling, I gripped the upright stringer with my left hand. As the weight of my body hit the end of the straightened arm, I felt and heard "CRUNCH!" in my elbow. But no damage to the shoulder!!
I reported the accident immediately (after completing the inspection and finding a leak).
Initial treatment was ice & heat packs, then physical therapy.
Long story short, physical therapy did not work, MRI was done, and consultation today.
Seems that the bicep tendon was torn bad enough that it could tear completely through if I'm not careful. So the surgery will be set up as soon as Work Comp okays it.
Interesting how it's done: They finish separating the tendon from the arm bone, then drill a pilot hole through the bone and thread the tendon through. It has a clip on it that opens up to hold the tendon through the hole, where it grows back.
Sounds like some of my red-neck repairs!  Grin

Al

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 05:25:45 AM »

Sorry to hear that and good luck with the surgery, therapy after surgery, now that's some fun and good luck with that also.
nuferdog

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »

Lets hope their repair holds up as good yours do.

True happiness can be found in the eyes of our children.
kenvb

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »

hey,,if its going to cost you $. I can come down with my cordless drill ?   Grin

KMA
Cherryman

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »

Hope yours goes better than my wife's knee replacement.     Scheduled for Nov, just before Thanksgiving.  Couldn't do it because she had Cortizone shot in Sept, got to wait 3 mos.   Ok, reschedule just before Xmas.    OOOPS, they're closing the hospital, now we have to reschedule at another hospital on Jan 22.    Found out today she has a rash on her leg, so it's been cancelled for next week.     Don't know when it will get done.    If see falls and breaks it, THEN maybe they'll fix it.    Not a "Happy Camper" in this house today !!!

Fred J. Lammlin
03 Blk Wing/Champion Kit
Al

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:56:32 PM »

Not a "Happy Camper" in this house today !!! <> sounds like my friend trying to get the latest greatest PET scan, all set to go and the hospital calls and tells him sorry we don't take your insurance for that test, he has been waiting for a month now, PSA rising after his prostate removal.
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »

LOL!
Maybe I should suggest local anesthesia in case the doctor needs some redneck tips during the surgery?

iwing
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 06:22:22 AM »

LOL!
Maybe I should suggest local anesthesia in case the doctor needs some redneck tips during the surgery?

Good idea. All the best!

MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:44:53 AM »

You mentioned the arm on your Facebook page.  I was wondering what happened.  Now I remember.  You need to be careful and not become another Ken.  Aging is not for sissies/

wflg
kenvb

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:40:36 AM »

You mentioned the arm on your Facebook page.  I was wondering what happened.  Now I remember.  You need to be careful and not become another Ken.  Aging is not for sissies/

HEY!

KMA
Cherryman

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »

Not a "Happy Camper" in this house today !!! <> sounds like my friend trying to get the latest greatest PET scan, all set to go and the hospital calls and tells him sorry we don't take your insurance for that test, he has been waiting for a month now, PSA rising after his prostate removal.
PSA rising?    Not good.    Had my prostate removed 12 yrs ago and PSA has been good so far.

Fred J. Lammlin
03 Blk Wing/Champion Kit
Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »

Gonna come back stronger-- better than ever -- able to lift that GL1500 if it tips over Wink
The $4200 dollar man --

Carl R. Munkwitz
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:36:34 PM »

Work Comp ok'ed it, set for Wednesday at 1:15.

Scott Mattson

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »

Procedure in itself should be routine but rehab is most important. Good luck Hick!!!
oldwing81

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 05:54:29 AM »

best of luck

Arv DeGroot - Sacred Heart, MN
92 GL1500SE, 81 GL1100, Aspen Classic camper, & Morgan cargo trailer
Al

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »

Work Comp ok'ed it, set for Wednesday at 1:15.

Good, wishing you the best with it.
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »

And strict orders from the wife, doctor, nurse, and my boss (also a nurse) to QUIT WORKING ON THAT ANTIQUE TRACTOR!!!!
And with gals like this in my life, maybe I should listen!
You all know Shari:

Meet my boss, Tonya:

kenvb

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 08:57:04 AM »

And strict orders from the wife, doctor, nurse, and my boss (also a nurse) to QUIT WORKING ON THAT ANTIQUE TRACTOR!!!!
You all know Shari:

Meet my boss, Tonya:

you ,listen to Shari..RIGHT !

KMA
Al

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »

You all know Shari:

It seems to be human nature, with men worse at it, hmm doc says a (whatever time frame) a guy will test it at half that, do overs make docs mad and wind up hurting more and taking longer BTDT and seen it even more  pdls 
ChiefBob

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 02:39:59 PM »

Yep, cover it and fugetaboutit.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 06:18:50 PM »

Wait!  Gary Hickman do anything he is told to do?  Must be a different guy than I know.   Smiley

wflg
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:26 PM »

Wait!  Gary Hickman do anything he is told to do?  Must be a different guy than I know.   Smiley

For sure!!
 rotflmao

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: