PIF - Paying It Forward
October 22, 2019, 08:02:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 99% sure this will be coming home with me  (Read 2911 times)
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »

Something has happened since I found this, brought it home, and started working on it, a year after Dad passed away.
At times I find myself wanting to tell him the progress I'm making, then realize that I cannot.
This morning, showing Shari around the tractor, I felt a strong wave of nostalgia, remembering Dad working on his, and I felt a strong a connection with Dad. 
So this will be more than just another tractor in my collection; it will be part of my roots, even if it is not the actual tractor he had.
Merry Christmas to all. 

iwing
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2018, 06:42:48 PM »

He knows.

Wingsconsin

Who says so...!?

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2018, 09:02:58 AM »

Something has happened since I found this, brought it home, and started working on it, a year after Dad passed away.
At times I find myself wanting to tell him the progress I'm making, then realize that I cannot.
This morning, showing Shari around the tractor, I felt a strong wave of nostalgia, remembering Dad working on his, and I felt a strong a connection with Dad. 
So this will be more than just another tractor in my collection; it will be part of my roots, even if it is not the actual tractor he had.
Merry Christmas to all. 

Now this is a good reason to buy it.  Wink

Carl R. Munkwitz
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2018, 12:27:37 AM »

He knows.

Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2018, 12:28:14 AM »

Now this is a good reason to buy it.  Wink

Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2019, 05:15:39 AM »

This model tractor has the brake pedal shaft running through the clutch pedal shaft. And a common problem is the clutch shaft sticking to the brake shaft. A simple fix in design to allow it to be greased would have stopped the problem, but Deere did not think of it.
This tractor has the shafts stuck together. To get to the shaft to loosen it requires some slight disassembly . . .
Started off by trying to pull the engine & center tunnel casting as one unit. Problem was, I could not get both legs of the cherry picker between the tracks, so I folded one leg up. That didn't work so good! Got it split apart, and was able to get a the shaft I needed to work on. But not easily, so decided it would be best to get it the tunnel all the way out. 2 hours after I started I was working to reattach the tunnel (top bolts only) so I could pull the engine and tunnel separately.
Got the engine out:

Took the dash & fuel tank off of the tunnel casting:

Here is the tunnel casting standing on the bell housing end so I can work on the stuck shaft:

Here is the shaft in question. It has to come out the left side; the lever on the left runs the left brake. The lever inside runs the clutch, and the stub shaft fitting over the brake shaft is what is stuck.

And the tractor now looks like this:

Interestingly enough, these set-backs are not bothering me at all, and you all know how things like this upset me. I think it is because I have no set time frame to get this done, and I do love the work.
As for the shaft replacement, once I get it unstuck or replaced, I WILL drill the brake shaft for grease passages and a zerk!

kenvb

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »

Like Trudy says..at least I know where your at !   and Shari can say the same.

KMA
MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2019, 02:33:33 PM »

I am enjoying following the story.

wflg
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »

Finally! Since my left arm is injured, I strapped the tunnel to the dozer frame so I could do the heavy work with my good arm. Got everything apart, shined up, and . . .
Clutch shaft won't slip over the brake shaft easily. Somehow the brake shaft got bowed. Press time, got it straightened out.
The replacement clutch pedal came today. Looks like it has been painted several times, once with a brush! IOW: Crappy!
Looked my weld over good, decided it is solid, and so will use my pedal, matches better! But when welding mine, the halves shifted so the keyway was wider than original. Found a key that would fit, and widened the slot in the shaft plus ground a tiny bit off the key to fit. Tightened everything up on the bench, looks good!
I need to get a clutch bushing before I put it all back together.
I'm also going to drill back into the brake shaft from the left side, tap for a grease fitting, then across so the clutch shaft can be greased.

I see that I had not posted a picture of the welded pedal. Broke it trying to get things loose. I was unsure if I could weld it. It's not because it is cast iron, it is because it broke in the keyway. I did manage to weld the pedal, and happy the way it turned out. Used Nickel-Free cast rod. Harder to weld with, but a stronger weld and you don't have to pre-heat the casting. I needed a shaft the right size, but could not find one. The only thing I had was a very thinwall aluminum pipe. And a large bolt that was almost the right size. The pipe slid over the bolt with a tight fit, so that worked out real good!
It ain't the purdiest weld, but I'm confident it will do.

kenvb

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 05:09:08 PM »

did your birds or chicken  get out of the house and end up in the garage? Huh?  ya ya I know.   its hard to weld that chit.

KMA
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »

did your birds or chicken  get out of the house and end up in the garage? Huh?  ya ya I know.   its hard to weld that chit.

LOL!
What you don't see in that picture is the 3 times I ground back into the "V" to re-weld it. Thus I'm confident it is solid.

kenvb

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »

also I see why those old JDs run so rough.  theres 2 spark plug wires missing ? Grin

ya ya   I know... yahoo headscratch

KMA
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2019, 09:59:01 PM »

BTW: Does anyone know the firing order of a 1951 two-cylinder John Deere?
 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Goofyfixer

Greg Eames

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 06:25:17 AM »

BTW: Does anyone know the firing order of a 1951 two-cylinder John Deere?
 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

I'm going waaaaay out on a limb and guessing "1-2"????

I've always been hot for cool blue.
kenvb

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 07:29:02 AM »

could be 2-1 too ? Huh? Smiley

KMA
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »

could be 2-1 too ? Huh? Smiley

NOPE!
Cylinder #1 fires, then cylinder #2. Then both coast through the exhaust cycles before firing again.
So the POP POP POP we hear is actually BOTH firing one right after the other so it sounds like one.
This MC runs at 1650 RPM, the horizontals run at 1250. So this does not have the characteristic Johnny Popper sound.
http://youtu.be/dhqkP1NF-xI

Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »

Got the dozer sub-frame off today. This will make putting the tunnel and engine back in a lot easier. 
Yes, I have a torn tendon in my left arm, and I WAS babying it. It is amazing how much one can get done one-handed with air tools, dollies, jacks, and a cherry picker!

Got it rolled out from under the tractor, then picked one side up with cherry picker and stood it beside the blade. My goal is to drill new holes in the frame to move it back 8" so it is not sticking out front so much. May even drill a set 12" back in case I have the clearance. I'm working on memory of those measurements.

kenvb

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 08:18:36 AM »

that's a pile O parts. taking pictures? Huh?

KMA
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: