PIF - Paying It Forward
October 22, 2019, 08:04:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ken Vanderberg  (Read 1005 times)
MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« on: July 31, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »

Ken has been in pain the last day or so.  He thought it was his back.  He went to the doctor today.  He had had a mini stroke.  His carotid artery is 80% blocked and his doctor has known about.  Did not want to do surgery.  This new cardiologist he saw today is going to arrange it.  Meanwhile he is on lots of blood thinners. 

Keep him and Trudy in your thoughts and prayers.

wflg
kenvb

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »

thanks Pat,  look at all the meds now. blood thinners.pain killers and blood pressure and baby assburns

KMA
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »

Take care of yourself, Big Brother!!!

iwing
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 01:09:32 AM »

All the best Ken.

chief james

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 02:43:55 AM »

Take care of yourself Ken.
John Anderson

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 04:03:24 AM »

I'm sure you will beat it Ken. Just listen to the docs and do as you are told and you will back to your career scavenging in no time.  All the best to both.
ChiefBob

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 04:13:22 AM »

Welcome to old age. Take care of yourself and if what one doctor tells you doesn't sound right, ask another.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
Whiz-Kid
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 06:13:42 AM »

Good luck Ken. Prayers for a good out come sent from Colorado.

Mikeee
nuferdog

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 08:50:20 AM »

Best wishes, tKe care of youself and listen to the Doctor

True happiness can be found in the eyes of our children.
Al

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 09:43:17 AM »

The best to you Ken follow docs orders and you should be good to go.
kenvb

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »

this new young doc is upset at my old Doc for not arranging the surgery 2 yrs ago when it was found. this is second stroke.  Tuesday is MRI and C Scan. nothing sooner I said.no your lucky got you in this soon?   Free medicare ,yup get what we pay for I guess..

KMA
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 02:07:03 PM »

this new young doc is upset at my old Doc for not arranging the surgery 2 yrs ago when it was found. this is second stroke.  Tuesday is MRI and C Scan. nothing sooner I said.no your lucky got you in this soon?   Free medicare ,yup get what we pay for I guess..

I assume you’re getting a blood work up done too? Checking  triglyceride  & glucose & stuff like that?

John Anderson

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »

Quityerbitchin. You are damn lucky you are getting an MRI and a CT scan within a week.  Out here typical wait times for a diagnosis MRI unless you are on death's door is about 2 - 3 months as they are so in demand.  Unlike the states we don't have the mobile units travelling from hospital to hospital raking in the dough doing for profit MRI's in the parking lots. You can thank your lucky stars you are getting the health care you got living way up there in the boonies.  I know I do and I would not want it any other way. 
Cherrie

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 04:43:15 PM »

Take care Ken, your health is nothing to fool with.
kenvb

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »

blood sugar is 5.5     Grin  blood pressure  135-100  lowest in years. lost 20 lbs in last yr..180 now.  going to live as old as  Noah.

KMA
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »

5.5 is great for your A1C. All your stuff sounds good.

BargingFool

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 07:47:22 AM »

blood sugar is 5.5     Grin  blood pressure  135-100  lowest in years. lost 20 lbs in last yr..180 now.  going to live as old as  Noah.

A diastolic pressure of 100 is life threatening.  Seriously, you need to work with your doctor(s) to get that down to 80 or below.  Just saying ...
kenvb

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 07:55:07 AM »

A diastolic pressure of 100 is life threatening.  Seriously, you need to work with your doctor(s) to get that down to 80 or below.  Just saying ...
that's lowest its been in my life. usually its 155 over 120         my mother died at 85  with blood pressure was high too. and didn't died of heart issues either!

KMA
BargingFool

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »

that's lowest its been in my life. usually its 155 over 120         my mother died at 85  with blood pressure was high too. and didn't died of heart issues either!

Do you take your BP at home?  or just in the doctor's office.  I ask because if it is the latter, you could be having what is known as White Coat Syndrome (WCS).  It is real and I've had it for 40 years.  In a doctor's office, a typical reading for me is 200/105.  At home, relaxed, my BP runs 130/70.

If you don't take your BP at home, I suggest you start doing so.  
I just don't believe your diastolic readings reported by you are accurate.  Something is amiss and it very likely could be WCS.

Buy a good automatic electronic cuff.
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 11:07:43 AM »

that's lowest its been in my life. usually its 155 over 120         my mother died at 85  with blood pressure was high too. and didn't died of heart issues either!

Do you take your BP at home?  or just in the doctor's office.  I ask because if it is the latter, you could be having what is known as White Coat Syndrome (WCS).  It is real and I've had it for 40 years.  In a doctor's office, a typical reading for me is 200/105.  At home, relaxed, my BP runs 130/70.

If you don't take your BP at home, I suggest you start doing so.  
I just don't believe your diastolic readings reported by you are accurate.  Something is amiss and it very likely could be WCS.

Buy a good automatic electronic cuff.

I need to get a meter to check BP at home. I have WCS. They'll check it when I first get there and then check it before I leave and the second check is always better.

ChiefBob

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »

I have one at home and my Cardiologist has me checking it twice a day and logging it. First one in when I get up and before meds or coffee and the second is later in the day and a note as to what I was doing at the time. The log consists of Date, Time, BP, Pulse & Note. The log is taken to my next appointment. This isn't forever. He wants this because he changed my meds due to high BP.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
BargingFool

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »

I need to get a meter to check BP at home. I have WCS. They'll check it when I first get there and then check it before I leave and the second check is always better.

There are all kinds for sale, don't skip, get a good one.  In fact, let me do a Consumer Report check for you since I pay for their service.

Highest rated is the Omron 10 Series BP786N

https://www.amazon.com/Omron-BP786-Pressure-Monitor-Bluetooth/dp/B00T83RDGO/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Omron+10+Series+BP786N&qid=1564788931&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Another highly rated one
Omron Evolv BP7000
ChiefBob

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »

Iv'e been using the Omron BP710 for several years.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
kenvb

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »

my retired Doc  gave me this when I last saw him. he said the hospital is getting new ones not as good as this.

here is my pressure as of 9.29 Aug 2-19    better than usual for me.   I cut my hand today and it bled like crazy. must be due to the blood thinner im taking.

KMA
BargingFool

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 08:36:45 AM »

Do you take your BP more than once in a sitting?  You should take it several times to see if it gets better with each reading.  If so, you definitely have WCS. 

I read once some advice from an expert on BP -- never take a BP measurement until you have been sitting relaxed for at least 15 mins.  Hard to do in a doctors office, but easy to do at home.

ChiefBob

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 09:44:41 AM »

Ken, use fine ground black pepper to stop the bleeding. It won't sting.

Bob Kekeis (Lurker)
kenvb

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »

thanks Bob.never heard of that before. I use those stopstics..that they use on boxers.

KMA
brian c

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 07:33:33 PM »

Keeping you in our thoughts, Ken.

Brian & Doris
Cottage Grove, MN

2001 GL1800 Goldwing
2008 Aspen Classic camper

Charter Member: Hines Wing Group 2002

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
-Robert J. Hanlon
kenvb

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 07:44:21 PM »

look at this. never been this low in years     

KMA
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 04:19:33 AM »

So did you find some whacked weed to chill the heart beats?  Smiley

Al

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 04:35:21 AM »

Ken has been in pain the last day or so.  He thought it was his back.  He went to the doctor today.  He had had a mini stroke.  His carotid artery is 80% blocked and his doctor has known about.  Did not want to do surgery.  This new cardiologist he saw today is going to arrange it.  Meanwhile he is on lots of blood thinners. 

Keep him and Trudy in your thoughts and prayers.

That 80% is is a key, what reason for no  action by the doctors to clear the blockage?
kenvb

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »

Al.  my Doc say a part of the blockage could go into my heart while there taking it out.50-50- chance of survival..but the new doc says..its a piece of cake..not to worry?   who do ya believe ?

KMA
Al

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »

Al.  my Doc say a part of the blockage could go into my heart while there taking it out.50-50- chance of survival..but the new doc says..its a piece of cake..not to worry?   who do ya believe ?

Well a 3rd opinion might be nice but with the advances made in technology and heart procedures I'd go for it. If you were stateside I'd send you to Cleveland Clinic, they did wonders for my brother, gave him 8 more years after his big attack.
kenvb

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 07:08:26 PM »

ultra sound 8.30am  Tuesday      mri  wednsday 200 kms away 9 am

bp is higher tonight   worked all day at horseladys place, had supper there.  organized her late fathers shop..real mess.

KMA
Al

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 04:19:20 AM »

Not good Ken not good, prayers for you and I hope the find something in your test that they can use to help you. Just an after thought, IF they put you on some kind of blood thinners your going to have to be real careful in the shop and it's not just the cutting aspect but sever bruising can and will occur and that's not something to ignore. Good luck.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: