PIF - Paying It Forward
March 30, 2020, 12:18:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "We ride because we see long lines of cars and trucks, creeping along toward another day, a crummy one just like yesterday. We ride by, glance into those cars and trucks and can't imagine being one of THEM, when we could be, we ARE, one of us." - Maynard Hershon, Citybike, 9/05

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal impacts of the Covid-19 crisis  (Read 196 times)
wordsmyth

tempermentally knobby...

« on: March 25, 2020, 03:50:23 AM »

Like anyone keeping up with the news, I've followed the Covid-19 thing with varying degrees of interest. Of late it has become personal due to the widespread impact of the shutdowns and other measures.

In what I have long called my "other life" (parallel to a career in the pastorate) I worked as a corporate trainer and executive coach. Inevitably, the clients and client groups I worked with were dealing with issues in one or more of the functional arenas of life. And all of the arenas are interrelated: what impacts one unavoidably impacts all.

So after several fits and starts and revisions, I settled on the design of the above poll to gauge the impacts of Covid-19 on life in general, and as lived out in the daily arenas.

Like everyone else, the Mitchell's are weathering the impacts in our town and schools, and in the patterns of daily work and living. To date we are experiencing impacts in five of the six key areas.

- Personal health - no impact - at least that we know of, but we are consciously taking steps to guard our health.
- Work/financial - Carol and I both working from home with the exception of unavoidable office visits. So far we are both still employed and being paid.
- Relationships: Every sub-area of relationships (family, friends, neighbors and colleagues) is working with the social distancing ideas in mind.
- Recreation - We do some things individually and other things together. Carol is a prolific reader and Hallmark movie enthusiast. She walks almost religiously on a daily basis. We are walking the dog and riding our bicycles more. The GL18 is still at the tech's for its annual beauty treatment so I'm not getting any extra riding done. Otherwise, the web is a big part of my personal recreation, so in addition to the several motorcycle places I read and post, I'm spending a lot of time at firearmforums.com due to an almost lifelong interest in the tools and the topic.
- Future plans - Event type things are all being cancelled or rescheduled. My May 2021 retirement date and month long motorcycle trip is still on the calendar, but looking less certain at this point.

My hope is that all of you are doing well, that everyone avoids the bug, and that we look back on this one day soon with our usual sense of relief and humor.

In the meanwhile, best to all as we are individually hunkered down together!  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:11:09 AM by wordsmyth » Logged

Former Marine, NRA Life Member, life-long truck guy

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:06:54 AM »

Howdy Rick.
Times are certainly strange and the reality of it is still settling in for me.
It started out with a 3 week training class in New Hampshire canceled after a week.
Flew home on empty planes through empty airports.
My wife’s company shut down and she’s home and they’ll pay for 10 days off.
I’m still working as apparently it’s still critical for printers to print signs for Little Cesar’s saying “they’re still open” therefore we have to keep the printers running. 
Strange sitting in your vehicle eating lunch from a drive thru.
Missed my daughter and grand daughters birthdays but we’ll party when this is over.
Yea, strange times.
Stay healthy all!

Greg & Darlene Hayden 2003 Candy  Red
wordsmyth

tempermentally knobby...

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:21 AM »

Howdy Rick.
Times are certainly strange and the reality of it is still settling in for me.
It started out with a 3 week training class in New Hampshire canceled after a week.
Flew home on empty planes through empty airports.
My wife’s company shut down and she’s home and they’ll pay for 10 days off.
I’m still working as apparently it’s still critical for printers to print signs for Little Cesar’s saying “they’re still open” therefore we have to keep the printers running. 
Strange sitting in your vehicle eating lunch from a drive thru.
Missed my daughter and grand daughters birthdays but we’ll party when this is over.
Yea, strange times.
Stay healthy all!

Roger all that brother. Picking up on your comments, my middle grandson's birthday is coming up tomorrow, and mine is this coming Sunday. Our family does birthdays in clusters, meaning we celebrate all of the March birthdays (2) at one gathering, and all of the May birthdays (2) at one gathering. At this point it is looking like all of them will be piled into the May gathering. The others (Jennifer each February, Rachel in June, and Carol in September) luck into an individual celebration. (My two sons-in-law are the May birthdays).

You all have more known cases up there than we do (as yet), but none of us are escaping the impacts. In terms of mood I agree with something Mark P. said in a post over at the Exiles bbs: "I'm more concerned about the panic than I am about the virus."

Here are two useful links I've found. The Johns-Hopkins link is updated several times daily. I'm not sure about the frequency on the CNN link, but it's interesting to me to track the pace.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/us-coronavirus-cases-state-by-state/index.html

Best to y'all, and stay safe!

Former Marine, NRA Life Member, life-long truck guy

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
Al

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 04:56:55 AM »

Both of us being retired the biggest thing is guarding what health we have.
Social impact is right up there, no dinners lunches out with family or friends.
Financially everything has been paid for for years so no change there.
Mentally it's more of a what the heck are these folks thinking with the panic buying, we shopped the other day and even the distilled water for my C-PAP was sold out. EVERY single paper towel and tissue gone. What's interesting is there a HUGE TP paper towel factory not 15 miles from here running a full crew and production. Huh?
Our get together s with family and the grand kids will be like Gregs,
No reported cases of the virus in our county but 1 to our north where we do most of the shopping.
Doctor appointment tomorrow BY PHONE, unless one needs a life saving procedure the hospital is closed to normal traffic. Heck even the bank is by appointment only. 
Whiz-Kid
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 05:36:21 AM »

I've had a good thing come out of this. Since I was sick 7 yrs ago and never got my strength back in my legs so I can't ride the Ultras, I got the Honda 750 Shadow out of storage and have been working on it. I 'm headed over today to pick it up for a road test and with any luck I can get back in the saddle again.

Mikeee
Al

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 06:29:52 AM »

Mikeee win the small battles Smiley I hope I can get on on mine before long.
kenvb

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 07:07:56 AM »

you will love the shadow, after that first POS i brought from Oklahoma.i have had 4 ,  very impressed with the little bikes.even better than a 1100 shadow i had one yr.

KMA
LadyWingr

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 09:28:01 AM »

Mikeee - loving hearing that you're getting going again

An interesting snapshot for the effects, thank you for putting it together

Our impacts have been primarily:

Mental health, the panic, the stock market and the unknown especially since we both have elderly family over 1000 miles away. We both have underlying conditions so the concern for physical health is always present

Financial, we have enough but will be nice to see the stock market settled back up.

We have a somewhat tight knit neighborhood so are able to talk across the street or fence but morning walks with the neighbor and her dogs or with it in the evening on another neighbor's front porch are out. We are missing the closer social connections with our neighbors and the regulars at our lunch and dinner spots

Cancelled a trip to see my family and attend a reunion. May end up driving to see parents instead of flying if this situation continues longer term. Have plans for October, to be determined if those come to fruition.

Otherwise, we're fortunate to be where we are financially, geographically, and healthwise. Also fortunate in our personal relationship that we are happy and  content to be together in our home on our quarter acre.
Whiz-Kid
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 10:45:50 AM »

Just got home and put 2 miles on the bike. Boy it felt strange and also good.

Mikeee(watch out world, Whizzer is on the lose)Whizzer
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »

2 miles? Did you push it?  rotflmao

Cherryman

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 06:09:32 PM »

Clean so far.  Doing a lot of walking and avoiding other walkers.    Most people are doing the same.    Got the trike out today, wiped it off, warm it up, and put it back.    The first two cases in our county here today---really bad on the other side of the state around the Detroit area.   Mi is now #5 in number of cases.

Fred J. Lammlin
03 Blk Wing/Champion Kit
LadyWingr

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »

Yay Mikeee!!!
Whiz-Kid
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »

That was on just the rear wheel , try that on your wing rotflmao

Mikeee
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 08:03:07 AM »

That was on just the rear wheel , try that on your wing rotflmao

Mikeee

tup1 rotflmao

Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »

Health: physical, emotion or mental - I've got some kind of crud, most likely the seasonal flu that I got from a friend when we were working at a feed plant. Or it could be the dust from the plant. Or the smoke and ash from the cedar tree piles we've burned.

Work/financial   - Well, for some damned reason, Shari's boss decided to close the office where everyone has their own offices and can take all the precautions needed and still work. But then again, most are salaried, so no biggie for him. Shari only works 4 half-days, but this still bites.
I'm "retired" so no big deal to stay home, or go out to the farm with my brother and work.  The Silver market took a huge hit, so my investment there took a hit, also. But that is only true if you sell.

Relationships: family, friends, neighbors, colleagues   - We were to go to Minnesota last weekend, cancelled because of weather. We decided to not go this weekend in case they shut all travel down, we'd be stuck there.
Our church streamlines the services every Sunday anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal to stay home. They had communion time, and those of us who prepared took it then, so the whole church had communion together, only in our own homes.

Recreation/relaxation   - My recreation and relaxation is working in the shop, building new equipment for my tractors and then using it. No change there. If I need parts, go to town and get them.

Daily needs: food, supplies, other   -  Not really. I ordered a half-beef and 25 chickens long before this PANICdemic hit. Will pick it up this weekend, barring a travel ban! Plus we have over 200 # of food in the freezer, veggies over the years and meat bought on sale.  The only "hardship" is it's more difficult to find my special favorite bread in the store. But that is fairly common to not find it anyway.

Future plans - Go back to real life again.

John Anderson

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 04:47:17 PM »

Hick
What's silver going for nowadays?  I got about a pound and a half in Johnson Mathey ingots. 1,2 & 5 ounce.  All from back in the 80's since like you I couldn't afford to even think about gold let alone buy any.
Al

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 05:19:14 PM »

John the last I saw 12.96 oz gold like silver up down up down as that with a lot to play with play with it.
John Anderson

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 04:48:23 AM »

Thanks.
iwing
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 06:25:07 AM »

New rule for us, as of April 7 we can only work 24 hour weeks. (Which means we only get paid for 24 hours)

MickeyNew

Pat in Bama

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 06:56:36 AM »

We are both retired, so there is no work impact. 

We both are 72 and have somewhat compromised immune systems which makes it more important we avoid the virus if we can.

We have been trying to buy our groceries with the Walmart app to avoid going in stores.  Walmart is running short on many things like ground beef, cheese, and bread.  We have enough non-perishables to last a while if things get really bad.

The biggest change for me is that I have been eating breakfast with some old buddies 6 days a week at a local fast food restaurant.  I stopped going two weeks ago.  Some were still going and sitting in the outside smoking tables when the dining room closed.

I also miss not being able to socialize with neighbors.

wflg
Al

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:05:18 AM »

We are both retired, so there is no work impact. 

We both are 72 and have somewhat compromised immune systems which makes it more important we avoid the virus if we can.

We have been trying to buy our groceries with the Walmart app to avoid going in stores.  Walmart is running short on many things like ground beef, cheese, and bread.  We have enough non-perishables to last a while if things get really bad.

The biggest change for me is that I have been eating breakfast with some old buddies 6 days a week at a local fast food restaurant.  I stopped going two weeks ago.  Some were still going and sitting in the outside smoking tables when the dining room closed.

I also miss not being able to socialize with neighbors.
    There are places here and else where that the tables both in and out have been removed, socializing with neighbors at the  minimum plus required distance. Our  " doctors visit " each was a 1/2 hour long conversation, actual visit rescheduled for 90 days from now if we are lucky.
Hick

Deere Power!

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »

John, yesterday Silver was $14.45.

And it's wild ride! That is, if you look at the month to month variation. But overall, I'm ahead of the game from when I invested in August, 2018.

John Anderson

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »

I bought a few of them in the 80's and I think around $4 -$5 an ounce back then.  But then when I left high school and started working gold was $35.00 an ounce and I had no spare money to buy any. Sh*t.
Cherrie

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 01:19:06 PM »

I have a doctor's appointment on the 8th of April so I called the doctor's office and they told me they are only doing phone to phone appointments, so I told them that would be fine. 

We live in a gated retirement community and most of us are still very active and social, and we miss that.  We did get an e.mail saying that every day at 10 to stand in your driveway and say the pledge of allegiance and sing G-d Bless America (I won't be doing that cause I can NOT sing.  Then on Saturday from 2 to 4 we should grab something to sit on and listen to the radio station they sent us to turn to.  Just so we can be a little social and safe.
Al

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 03:25:17 PM »

I bought a few of them in the 80's and I think around $4 -$5 an ounce back then.  But then when I left high school and started working gold was $35.00 an ounce and I had no spare money to buy any. Sh*t.

Those 1980 dollars sure aren't  2020 dollars in buying power vs wages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: